Friday, March 11, 2016

Who Runs the World? (Girls) • Get Offa That Slump!


Before we get to this wonderful post, I'll give you a quick summary of what Get Offa That Reading Slump! is. Officially it's named Get Offa That Reading Slump Blogging Extravaganza. It's being hosted by Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf and it's going on right now, the month of March! If you're interested, head on over to the intro post and join on in.

Let's get to those ladies, loves!

Now anyone who knows me IRL know that I love strong women in fiction in any form. TV, Movie, Musicals, Literature. I'm all for it. I love women and girls that aren't afraid to kick ass and take names. Now I'll be honest, right now I don't have the best memory. My mind is going a thousand miles an hour these days that I hardly remember what I was doing five minutes ago. So I hope I can bring you some great ladies.

1. Deryn Sharp 


From: The Leviathan Trilogy by Scott Westerfeld

If you guys haven't read this series, you have to. I fell in love with Deryn as soon as I was introduced to her. She went to great lengths to get into the Royal Airforce in 1914. That's unheard of! She's such a great character and honestly she was a role model for me. Plus her and Alek are super cute together.

2. Brianne of Tarth


From: Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Don't worry guys I'll try to keep the GoT characters to a min, but I love Brianne of Tarth. She's such a great character and also that actress is Captain Phasma in the new Star Wars so. But for real guys, she gets knighted and she doesn't let the things she's told get in her way. She will be a knight and she will fulfill her duty. Now I'll be honest, I've only been introduced to her in the television show (that I don't really watch anymore because of reasons...but I might get back into it), but I know that I'll love her in the book series. 

3. Celaena Sardothien


From: The Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas

I'm sorry, you guys just had to know I was going to put her in. I haven't caught up to Queen of Shadows yet, but I just aaah. She's honestly just a character that I want  to be. I mean I'm going so far as to try and cosplay her, like that means something right? She's crazy awesome and I just love girls who can do great things with weapons. You can say it's an attractive feature to me. It's like how guys with musical abilities get a plus in the hot factor, girls who can work a knife get a huge plus in the hot factor. 

4. Peggy Carter


From: Captain America Comics by Marvel

I'm not a big comic gal. I'm more of a manga person, but the thing I love the most are girls who can kick ass and look great while doing it. The fashion of the forties plus your classic espionage? I'm super down. I haven't been able to watch her series on TV, but I just love Peggy Carter. What a great role model for girls and women everywhere. 

5. Azula


From: Avatar the Last Airbender

Now as much as I am a rooter of heroes, I LOVE a good villain. And man was Azula a villain. She legitimately made me afraid when I was younger. She was just so ruthless and ready to f-- shit up to her advantage. She was on a mission and she was going to finish it. Her determination and her ruthlessness made her such a force to be reckoned with. And since we have Azula I just have to have...

6. Toph


From: Avatar the Last Airbender

TOPH. Just TOPH. She's blind but man can she get business done. Not only that but she's hilarious! She doesn't let her disability get in her way and she's not afraid to make fun of it. I think she's a great role model for girls who have disabilities of their own--showing that their disability doesn't have to hold them back. They just need to take the world into their own hands!


These are only a few of the great ladies I've come across in fiction, but they're probably my favorite. 

What great women have you come across? Tell me, I'd love to know!