Monday, July 27, 2015

First Thoughts #1

So I've come across some excerpts of books while I was on Twitter and just on Scribd, so I thought that maybe I'll start making posts of my first thoughts of upcoming books or books that I plan to read after reading their excerpts. Kind of how people react to movie and TV show trailers before it's actually premiered.

In this post I'll be looking over Liars, Inc by Paula Stokes and Fans of the Impossible Life by Kate Scelsa.




 First thoughts on Liars, Inc. by Paula Stokes:

I found this book to be more of the slower YA novels that I've come across, but it still holds out on its own. I kind of wish that Liars, Inc. had more time to become its own before shit kind of hit the fan. While I like drama and the mystery behind Preston's disappearance, it kind of came too quickly. Maybe it's selfish thinking on my part, but I really wanted to see Liars, Inc. Roll in the cash and have some really good fun before things turned for the worst.

I do like how Matt has his relationship with Parvati and I definitely feel some sympathy towards them since I know how the whole strict father thing can be. Also the whole thing that Parvati is half Indian is also another plus in my book. I'll definitely try to get my hands on the full story for this one. I mean, I have to find out what happened to Preston.



First thoughts on Fans of the Impossible Life by Kate Scelsa:

This excerpt was definitely the quicker read of the two. I liked the kind of misfit trio friendship that was starting to build up and I think it will appeal to a lot of readers that like to root for the underdog. I felt a little bit of the special snowflake kind of syndrome going on here, but it wasn't suffocating--so it's still really enjoyable.

Jeremy and Mira both have really troubled pasts before we're introduced into the story and Sebby has this odd rebellious streak with him too. It'll be interesting to see how they all impact each other and let's hope that they come out as better people. This seems like a coming of age novel that would give a shout out to everyone who felt like they didn't belong or were alone in high school and I'm hope I'm right (fingers crossed, guys).

While I can see it going really wrong, I can also see it going really right. So I'm excited to see where this story goes.


Final Thoughts:

Now before you say anything, I know that Liars, Inc. has already been released. It's just I had an excerpt lying around and I haven't actually read the full work. I actually missed that recent Kindle deal by about half an hour (yes, I regret it). It's just something to start this new thing I wanted to do. I'm hoping to have this out every week since excerpts are far more easier to go through then full novels. I'll try to have this out every Monday.

Book wise, I'm pretty excited to go and read these two novels because of what I read in the excerpts. I'm hoping that Fans of the Impossible Life ends up being on my good side because I really want it to and I really want to get to the bottom of the Preston mystery in Liars, Inc.

Thanks for stopping by today.
 Before you leave, I'd like to ask you guys:
 Have you read any excerpts lately?
 Did it make you excited (or more excited) about an upcoming book?