Saturday, July 25, 2015

What Cosplay Means to Me

If you've been reading my blog recently, you might know that I'm a cosplayer. I'm pretty knew to the community since I've only been displaying for about two years, but I'm planning to be doing it for some time. If you aren't a cosplayer you're probably really confused. What the heck is cosplay? Why do I cosplay? Well I'll take it slowly.

What's cosplay?

Cosplay, as I know it, is a hybrid word coming from the words "costume" and "play". It's like playing dress up...but a bit more extreme and a lot more expensive. Some people have made careers out of cosplay, which I think is amazing and crazy. You're probably familiar with cosplay in places and events like San Diego Comic Con. However, I cosplay things from anime and video games rather than comic books and TV series, but that's just a main point of reference. If you look up any really big conventions, you'll probably see cosplay.

Why do you cosplay?

My first answer is because it's fun. It's incredibly fun to do and while it can become really, really expensive, I can't see myself stopping for a long time. I've only been cosplaying for two years now, and I still have a lot to learn, but it's so much fun.

My other answer is because I love creating things. I've dabbled in things like drawing, writing, painting, etc. but I never really continued because I had this huge bump where I was still learning the basic basics (well... except for writing). I've been sewing most of my life--just for fun. So getting into cosplay took away that beginner barrier. I knew a lot of the basics and I could start with things that were a little bit more complicated. Now I'm jumping into things like armor making and prop making because I feel that I can continue on with my sewing skills. I'm not a professional seamstress or anything, I just feel comfortable enough that I can still learn these things while also advancing my sewing skills.

Through cosplay I've met some amazing people. Some people who've been doing it longer than I have and make amazing work, and some people who are just as new to it as I am. It's great to see people who enjoy my interests through cosplay and it's really really fun to play dress up haha. This is a very basic post about cosplay. I can go deeper into how I personally go about making my costumes and how there are different things like prop making and armor making, but for right now--this is it. I'm still working on my WIP (work in progress) post for my Kantai Collection cosplay.

Until next time (*A*)